Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ginger scallion sauce with lo mein

Michael helped me make this last night and he's been wonderful since I got hurt. We were supposed to go down to Denver to see some friends, grab dinner and go to a concert, but after I hurt my knee we had to cancel:( I've been craving this recipe for a few weeks- I made it with my friend Liz last summer and couldn't remember how to make it! She was kind enough to send me the recipe and since I was feeling down after my injury I decided to cheer myself up with this delicious meal. Liz got the recipe from one of her friends who got it from David Chang's Momofuku cookbook. I love how recipes get passed along! Btw Liz is visiting me in March- expect a plethora of blog posts from this visit!!

This was delicious over lo mein but it would have been even better over udon noodles. Our local store didn't have any so we had them with lo mein. We also added pan-fried tofu to the recipe for some protein. I had to google how to pan-fry tofu because I've been having some tofu problems. Needless to say, it's really easy: press the moisture out of the tofu, cut in cubes, add a little oil to a pan over medium-high heat and don't flip until they're browned on one side. You might need to add a little more of the liquids in the recipe to make up for the tofu.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup finely minced, peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or other neutral oil)
1 1/2 tsp Usukuchi (light soy sauce)
3/4 tsp sherry vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste (I omitted this)

noodles (lo mein, udon, rice)
pan-fried tofu

1. Slice the scallions and mince the fresh ginger. Mix together with the oil, soy sauce, vinegar and salt. Let sit for about 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Pan-fry the tofu and cook the noodles. Add the sauce to the tofu just before it's done, to heat through.

3. Serve over the noodles. You might need to add a little more soy sauce at the end.

Photo courtesy of Michael:)


No comments:

Post a Comment