Monday, January 23, 2012

My greenmonster smoothie

Liz posted a link about these smoothies today and we had a nice Skype date that included a discussion on smoothies. Liz is inspiring me to try green smoothies! I recently discovered the "Oh She Glows" blog, the same woman who does the greemonster movement, I don't know why it took me this long to find this. Actually, Emily is the one who told me about Oh She Glows. I don't know where I'd be in the cooking or eating world without my friends.

This was a picture after I took out the big
handful- can you believe it was only 99 cents!?
I was meant to make this smoothie today. First Liz's post and then I read an article about kale and how important it is to eat a lot of green, leafy veggies- vegan or non-vegan. Duh. I know this I just have trouble getting kale into my system! I love kale. It's so good for you and it's really inexpensive- I got a gigantic bunch today for only 99 cents. You really can't go wrong with it. I think most people don't know how to cook it or get tired of the ways they know how to cook it (like me). When my mom was pregnant with me she said she craved steamed kale with garlic in broth and whole wheat toast. (Way to go, mom!) Why don't I make it like this? I don't know. I need to dedicate more time to kale. It really is great for me. I will resolve to include more of it in my diet. Maybe a bunch a week. That's not too much to ask- especially in SMOOTHIE FORM!


"My beloved green monster and me"

Ingredients:

1 big handful of kale, steamed and run under cold water
1/2 avocado
2 dates, pitted
3/4 c almond milk (or more, taste- this comes out pretty thick)
4 ice cubes
1/2 tsp chia seeds
1/2 tsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp almond meal
1 Tbs maple syrup

1. Blend everything really well. My blender did a great job- there are only a few little green flecks of kale left.

2. Enjoy for breakfast or as a light dinner!

This smoothie isn't super-sweet but you can make it sweeter by... adding more sweetener:) Feel free to improvise on this. A ripe banana would be a yummy substitute for the avocado- we just used our ripe bananas for banana bread this morning so that wasn't an option.

Greenmonster and Prickly Pete!


By the way, if you google image: "Bright green smoothies" you will see the true color of my smoothie- I really need to use a better camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment