Monday, April 23, 2012

Benefits of a weekly meal plan

There are so many benefits of making a weekly meal plan. You know ahead of time exactly what you're eating and when so you don't have to worry about running to the store at the last minute or stressing about what to make for dinner, you save a ton of money because you can plan multiple meals around specific ingredients and you don't buy unnecessary items at the store, you plan what you're eating so you can make healthy choices ahead of time. Michael and I have been really good about making a weekly meal plan and then going to the grocery store about once a week. In a perfect world I'd do it the French way and hit up the local bakery and veggie market on the way home from work but we just don't have that luxury where we live.

When making a weekly meal plan, try to think ahead to your crazy weekly schedule. For example, on Wednesdays I work late and don't have time to make anything too homemade unless I do it ahead of time. So, this Wednesday we're having lasagna that I'll assemble in the morning and then leave in the fridge during the day, ready to pop in the oven when I get home. Don't be afraid to make more complicated things- you can always chop veggies or do other prep the night before. Also- try dedicating one day a week to meal prep. Today, for example, (with the help of my mom who is visiting which of course makes it easier) we'll be baking bread, pita pockets and buns to stick in the freezer for later in the week. You can also do this with casseroles or other easy-to-freeze items.

So without further ado, here is our weekly dinner plan! (I also plan some lunches and breakfasts but here is the dinner part at least) I'll try to add the recipes to it on the blog if I have time! Some of them are already on there:)

Monday: crustless quiche, salad, bread
Tuesday: baked falafel, pita bread, cucumbers, tahini/lemon dressing, salad
Wednesday: Roasted broccoli tofu ricotta and spinach lasagna
Thursday: Veggie burgers, homemade buns, kale chips
Friday: Michael is on his own! My mom and I are going across the mountains:) But he'll probably have the staple.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment